Thursday 3 April 2014

"Finished your warre now?".. "erm... still not so much."

Here is the next bit of fiddling about I have done instead of getting in with a new hive.
Using 40mm battons (to allow for 2mm removal by circular saw) I cut away a strip 9mm wide. 

I then cut off each end with a top to bottom angled cut (badly explained so see pic). I did this at 70mm from each end to provide a 300mm gap (430mm topbars).

I then reattach the end pieces to the baton with the narrow side inward.










Add a comb guide and Hey presto! A topbar with a removal section to allow supering. The gap at its widest point is 300mm (12") so it can take warre boxes as supers..... if I ever build them that is :s.
ps.. This little innovation will also work with my previous little project for supering with jars. Simply cut some holes into a piece of ply wood to take the jars and place on top on the superable topbars. This option should more easily allow you to close off specific jars entrances once full and removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment