Wednesday 2 April 2014

Bait Hives and Hope for the Future

Well this month I am going to be concentrating mostly on trying to get myself some more bees.
I checked on my current colony and the weekend and they are flying and bringing on pollen. That is a very good sign as it means that the queen has started laying again. This colony was a very small cast swarm that I caught at the end of July 2013. The chances of a cast swarm making through the winter is only about 1/4 at the best of times so one this late getting through is a good sign.
Over winter I have built myself a new topbar hive and a few bait hives (or eight) and am now putting them out and about hoping to catch myself some more bees during spring. Here is a article I did for homestead.org on how to: http://homestead.org/AndrewBotham/BeesForFree/FreeBees.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment