Saturday 21 June 2014

The absentee monarch

Well after one month of hoping the queenless side of my split would settle on a regent I have finally intervened.  On the inspection today there was no sign of a queen, no sign of brood, no sign of eggs, and possible signs of a dreaded laying worker *gasp*.
The queen-right side of the split however has now reached 16 bars of brood and I can barely see for bees. I found an entire comb with eggs front and back. So this was kindly donated to the queenless hive to give them one more chance of raising a queen. I will try and keep eye this time. Last time I think I left too many queen cells as I am pretty sure there has been two to three swarms from this split.
In other news a little cast swarm I caught (probably from the above) is doing well. My new assistant beekeeper Kyle helped inspect today.
image
He very much likes having his very own beesuit. We even managed to find the queen together (something for which i do not have a good pedigree). Mmm..mmm...mmm-bee, as my daughter named her, is a skinny girl but working hard. You can see all the eggs in the comb above her.
image
Oh and some more bees turned up in the nuc I have just managed to empty. Well the joke is on you bees! I still don't have a sixth colony because I already have someone lined up to have you Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment