Monday 4 May 2015

Accidental Warré Update

Over a bank holiday weekend where Yorkshire hosted an amazing first Tour de Yorkshire bike race (woo... go Wiggins), my daughter got scarlet fever, and I failed to get anything done other than eat and drink. I did get the chance to visit the bees on a small respite from the rain.

So last year in June a tiny caste swarm moved into an old box in my apiary. The box is deralict with the side not meeting properly and more hole than the proverbial sieve. This swarm was very small and although it managed to just about fill the box did nothing more that year. They refused to grow into the a box below deciding instead to stay put. I at least gave them a decent quilt and roof and offered them my best wishes. Against all odds they managed to make it through (an albeit mild) Yorkshire winter which managed to be the downfall of larger colonies. This a brief video of them:


Good work little bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment